Starting in January 2019, construction will begin on numerous improvements to the I-5 freeway between SR-73 and El Toro Road. The project aims to:
- Add one northbound and southbound lane from Avery Pkwy to Alicia Pkwy.
- Extend second carpool lane from Alica to El Toro on both sides of the freeway.
- Reconstruct interchanges at Avery, La Paz Road, and Los Alisos overcrossing.
- Reconstruct and add auxiliary lanes.
- Realign and improve on- and off- ramps.
The project will be divided into three segments:
- SR 73 to south of Oso Pkwy | October 2019 – October 2024
- South of Oso to south of Alicia | January 2019 – August 2023
- South of Alicia to north of El Toro | April 2020 – May 2024
The planning and construction will be funded with Measure M dollars and is currently scheduled to be completed in October of 2024.